It is the responsibility of every Lodge to look after its members. The Lodge Mentoring Coordinator has a vital role to play, as it is his responsibility to ensure that the Mentoring process is not only implemented, but that it also works effectively in his Lodge. The Lodge Mentoring Coordinator needs to ensure that a Mentor is appointed for every Candidate. To do so he must;
- Be fully aware of the Mentoring process, what it is trying to achieve and what 'success looks like'.
- Make sure that all the members of his Lodge are aware of Mentoring and what benefits it will bring to their Lodge. Perhaps deliver a Short Paper on Mentoring in open Lodge.
- Ensure Mentors fully understand the aims and objectives of the programme.
- Ensure Mentors attend any training courses or workshops provided.
- Match the right Mentor to the Candidate. This will of course vary according to the size of Lodge membership and the availability of suitable Mentors. Please see the section Who Should Be a Mentor? for further advice on this. It would be helpful to be involved at the early stages of a candidate's application to the Lodge. This will allow him to start thinking of a suitable match. Remember not to disregard the Proposer or Seconder, as they may have the ability to fulfil the role.
- Take time to ensure the Candidate and Mentor form a good initial relationship. Do they sit together both in the Lodge and at the Festive Board? Is there a good relationship between them and the Proposer and Seconder?
- In order to assess how mentoring is working within the Lodge, he may wish to complete a Detailed Mentoring Report in respect of each Candidate and use the Lodge Mentoring Report to convey his thoughts to the Provincial Mentor.
- Report his findings to the Lodge; perhaps he may be given an opportunity to give a Lodge Mentor's Report in open lodge.
Most importantly, try to make sure that this is all done in good heart and with fun. Mentoring exists to help develop good masons and support your Lodge. If it works, everyone wins, and the Lodge Mentoring Coordinator has the enviable position in making that happen.