The role of the Provincial Grand Lodge is pivotal to the success of a mentoring scheme. Its role is as follows.
1. Define and manage the mentoring scheme operating within the Province.
2. Appoint a Provincial Grand Mentor who will:
- prepare mentoring guidance tailored for the Province (using, for example, ideas provided and shared by the United Grand Lodge of England);
- undertake the day-to-day management of the Provincial mentoring scheme;
- support Lodges within the Province (including the provision of advice and guidance to Lodge Mentors);
- deliver training for Lodge and Personal Mentors;
- share best practice between Lodges;
- share experiences, successes and failures with other Provincial Grand Mentors;
- liaise with the United Grand Lodge of England;
- hold events for new Masons, their families and/or mentors.
3. Measure the effectiveness of the mentoring scheme operating within the Province.
As stated above, a number of Provincial Grand Lodges already hold seminars and workshops to support their mentoring schemes, and ensure their aims and objectives are widely understood.